Sunday, February 22, 2009

Before You Know It

When the followers of Jesus watched Jesus die, they felt all hope was lost. They immediately scattered, and then began to huddle in secret. They were sure that Jesus would establish a political/religous kingdom in Jerusalem. Their association with Him would guarantee them a prominent position in the inner circle. Now all that was gone. Confusion, fear, and despair were setting in.

But not for Jesus. Although He was buried, He was not finished. And apparently He was not buried for long. In Peter's first letter we read that He "went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison" (1 Peter 3:19).

Here's the point: While the disciples were mourning, Jesus was up and working. The victory was won long before the disciples knew it. God does alot without telling us. He is securing victory long before we are clued in. On Easter morning, the disciples were amazed and overjoyed--and rightly so. But Easter was not the day of victory. I'm thinking that Jesus shed those grave clothes as soon as the tomb was locked behind Him.

God is still at work. Your day may be dark. You may have lost hope. It may seem that God is dead. Take heart because in your day of despair, Jesus is alive and well...working in ways you've never even thought about. You see, God wins the victory long "before you know it."

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Daryl,

    Just this past week I sent an email of encouragement to my mom with the passage Psalm 112:4 "Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness;He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous." The Lord has taught me much about the fact that the darker the situation, the brighter He shines when He goes to work. I see very dead, grave, all hope lost situation as a glorious opportunity to see the shining Glory of God!!

    Great post...so excited to hear more! God bless you brother Daryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW...jcdisciple is Amanda Bowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let's see....my thoughts are.....first, who knew you had a blog? And second....Good word....it's hard to remember the big picture when you are in the middle of terrible circumstances and even harder to remember the One Who Painted the big picture has our best interest at heart.
    I will try to remember to add you to the "Blogs I Read" list on my sidebar....right now, I am getting about 400 hits per day on my blog, so I might be able to send you some "blog business" ;-)

    ReplyDelete